Thursday, February 10, 2011

Endymion 1

A THING of beauty is a joy for ever:
Its loveliness increases; it will never
Pass into nothingness; but still will keep
A bower quiet for us, and a sleep
Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing.
--John Keats

These are the first lines of the poem Endymion by Keats. I picked up an old paperback of poetry by Keats, mostly because it was 10 cents, and I liked the yellowing of the pages. Then I began to read the poetry, especially Endymion. It tells the story of Endymion, a mortal, in love with Cynthia (the Greek goddess of the moon Selene). The poem is about Endymion's love for Cynthia and his search for her in the underworld. One Wikipedia listing mentions that Keats changed the name Selene to Cynthia and that Selene is another name for Artemis. Well, of course, this piqued my interest. I will continue to read Endymion and investigate the meaning of the poem and of the Greek story of Endymion. Here is my first collage based on the poem.

I took a vintage photo, acrylic paint, ink, collage paper, and stamps to create a kind of Steampunk/Dr. Who quality about it. It was a lot of fun.

1 comment:

  1. Anne, this is great, it would fit right in with my steampunk challenge. You can see it here.. queenofcrativity.ning.com

    ReplyDelete